Thursday, August 23, 2007

The Greensleeves Myth


For hundreds of years people have beleived that "Greensleeves" was, in fact, a love song written by King Henry VIII to his future wife Anne Boleyn. It was converted into the Christmas song we know and love centuries later.
The text of this love song (see below) was long thought to have been the authentic lyrics that Henry VIII wrote to his beloved Anne. However, music historians have pointed out that the style of the poem is not consistent with the style used around Henry's time. For many centuries, prostitutes in Europe were required to wear removeable sleeves of a greenish hue so that they could easily be identified by both clients and authorities. Anne Boleyn, however, was certainly not a prostitute. She was the daughter of a Duke and descended from royal blood. There is also the question of whether or not Henry had met Boleyn when the song was composed.
Recently, Canadian musician Loreena Mckennitt interpreted Henry's version to mixed reaction. Whether the story of the love song is true or not it's interesting to hear how it may have sounded.
Alas, it seems that Henry's romantic side is fading into the mists of legend. One fact that hasn't changed is that Henry VIII separated from most of his many wives by beheading them.
Ah, always the romantic ...
THE GREENSLEEVES
Words by King Henry VIII
Music traditional
Alas my love you do me wrong
To cast me off discourteously;
And I have loved you oh so long
Delighting in your company.
Greensleeves was my delight,
Greensleeves my heart of gold
Greensleeves was my heart of joy
And who but my lady Greensleeves.
I have been ready at your hand
To grant whatever thou would'st crave;
I have waged both life and land
Your love and goodwill for to have.
Greensleeves was my delight,
Greensleeves my heart of gold
Greensleeves was my heart of joy
And who but my lady Greensleeves.
Thy petticoat of sendle white
With gold embroidered gorgeously;
Thy petticoat of silk and white
And these I bought gladly.
Greensleeves was my delight,
Greensleeves my heart of goldGreensleeves was my heart of joy
And who but my lady Greensleeves.
Dedicated to Anne Boleyn, Queen Consort of England
(She rejected Henry's attempts to seduce her. This rejection is apparently referred to in the song, when the writer's love "cast me off discourteously." )

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey there...did you recieved my email? i hope you did....i'll be sure to check out this song! Hope to hear from you soon